As Sure as the Dawn - Discussion Guide
1. As the book opens, what torments Atretes? Why does he head for Ephesus to find the apostle John?
2. What danger does Sertes pose to Atretes? Have you, or anyone you know, ever been in a position where you’re trying to change your life, but something or someone from the past keeps trying to drag you back?
3. How does John encourage Rizpah in her faith (page 114)? How can we follow his example to encourage other Christians?
4. Do you notice any similarities between the Corinthian church (page 139) and some churches in our culture today? What are some influences that can affect the church? How can a church stand strong against negative influences?
5. Why does Atretes think that Christianity makes no sense (chapter 12)? How would you respond to Atretes’ objections to Christianity?
6. Atretes’ tribe worships a god called Tiwaz. What are some differences between God and Tiwaz? What are some false gods that are worshipped today?
7. Theophilus accompanies Rizpah and Atretes to Germania, ostensibly to show them the way. What is Theophilus’s deeper motivation for going to Germania? What risks does he take in doing so?
8. Why is Atretes suspicious of Theophilus and his motives? Do you think his suspicions are justified? What does Theophilus do to assuage Atretes’ fears?
9. Explain how Atretes’ relationship with Rizpah changes over the course of the story. What do you think brings about his change of heart?
10. What event finally convinces Atretes of the reality of the one true God? If you are a believer, was there a specific event or circumstance that convinced you to believe in Jesus?
11. Having finally made their way safely to Atretes’ tribal home, what new problems confront Atretes and Rizpah?
12. Theophilus advises Rizpah to have patience with Atretes, as he is a new believer. What are some ways Christians can show love and patience to new believers?
13. How does Anomia pose a threat to Rizpah’s marriage? What is her motivation? How does Rizpah react? What is the outcome of Anomia’s treachery?
14. How did Theophilus share his faith with Atretes? with the Germans? Do you think it’s effective to adjust the way you share the gospel depending on whom you are talking to?
15. Why did the villagers urge Atretes and Rizpah to leave? Who left with them? How did God use them?
16. Discuss the significance of this book’s title, As Sure as the Dawn (p. 471).